File Referencing on hosted files

This topic is 6449 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi

During a conversion project from 5 to 8 I need to make a decision about File Referencing and different sources seem to have different opinions on the subject.

We are hosting the entire system on the same server, now we do not want to specify a specific IP address as this will cause problems if we change the address or run the system off line.

Now my main question; is it advisable to us an asterisk (*) in the Fmnet: protocol? i.e. "fmnet: /*/Filename" FileMaker server guide says yes, others say no. Or if the files are on the same server use the File: protocol?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks for your help

Orlando

Ideally you should go for three references:

fmnet:/yo.ur.ip.address/filename

fmnet:/*/filename

file:/filename

This is optimised for normal operation in a local network with the host on a fixed IP.

Thank you guys, you have both been a great help.

If I use file:filename would I be right in thinking that if I took one file and opened it offline, it would not attempt to open related files on the server, It will only open them if they are in the same directory?

Orlando

If I use file:filename would I be right in thinking that if I took one file and opened it offline, it would not attempt to open related files on the server, It will only open them if they are in the same directory?

Probably not, actually. It will ask for the files and ask you to find them. So if you take it offline, take all the files as well.

Steven

This topic is 6449 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.