Server Maintenance This Week. ×

DB security help

This topic is 6478 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

We have created a separate DB with relationships to other databases. Now here is my issue. I only want to allow access to the new DB to certain people. so I have created a local user on the new DB to login to. When this local user loges in they get a file not found on any area with a relationship. Now if I login with one of the external server users that has rights to the new DB and the the existing DB everything is seen correctly. So how do I allow the new users to access the new DB with the WEB without giving them access to the DB that contains the data? You would think the relationship would handle the permissions form the new DB to the existing DB. Look like this not the case that the user is handling the relationships. Any Ideas?

Now issue # 2. I am using a 2nd FMP server in my DMZ to handle the web publishing. I have to authorize web publishing on any DB that i am pulling data from in order for the new DB to show the information correctly. I would think that FMP would allow you at the server level to specify what DB to publish and not at the DB file level.

Thanks for any and all help!

Any permissions for web publishing must be applied at the data table level. UI files will also require fmiwp to be set. It's a unified model.

As for the first issue, I am not clear as to what problem you're experiencing. What do you mean by "local user" logging in?

Steven

• Newbies

OK here is the situation, We have various databases that internal users access over the FMP network. We have now partnered with another company to do international sales and support for us. They will need access to various data sets on the internal databases. The employee that does the FMP work has created a database with various relationships to the data that they need access to. We do not want to allow full access to the internal databases. I am hosting the FMP server on the internal side. I have also build another server that is located in my DMZ with a MIP going to it. everything is working if I login to the new database with a user that has full access rights to the internal databases. If I login with the local user account on that server then I can not access the internal data base data. I know this is a permissions issues. I just don't know how to fix it without allowing this new company login to also have rights to login to the internal databases. If FM had written the software to allow me to publish the databases or not to at the server level this would not be a issues. I would just only publish the one database they need to access and they would be locked down from login into the internal databases. FM instead put the publishing right at the file level or database file level. So i have to publish to the web all the databases internal and the new one in order for it to work. Thus giving them access rights and the database sitting right there to login into. Hope this clears it up a little and someone can be of some help.

You would think that when a trust relationship is setup between two databases then the rights are set there and not have to give access rights to the user.FMP need to really do some work on steeping up the security model for this.

Jonathan

This topic is 6478 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.