Report Name by Script Name

Totes

This topic is 6470 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

Is it possible to have a report title on the printed page pull from the script name?

If the script is called Jelly...can the report title print out Jelly ?

Thanks,

Jim

Edited by Guest

• Newbies

I hope this is not too much of a newbie question but how do you get the name of that script to print out on the report.

I assume that this would be useful so that you would only have to make one report and not one for each title you want. Is that correct.

Thank you in advance.

Joe

Use a Text field with global storage for the report title. Place this field on the top of each report layout. Then use a Set Field[] script step in each Report script to populate it. I suppose you could use that get(scriptname) function, like this:

Set Field [ gReportTitle ; Get(scriptname) ]

but I prefer to set report titles with literal text. This way I can have different (and more meaningful report titles) than what the script is named. This is especially useful if you have scripts that run multi-purpose reports, or reports with many options (like different Sort options). In this case, the script step would look something like:

Set Field [ gReportTitle ; "Employee Listing (by Date of Hire)" ]

• Newbies

Thank you.

I am working on my first report, and the book I have was kind of leading me in the right direction but it just seemed to drop off to another subject. So I was left guessing that a setfield was where I should be going.

If I may ask, is there a good book for a total beginner you could recommend? I have one titled getting started with Filemaker 8, but it seems to be on the shy side as far as indepth topics.

Thanks for taking the time.

Joe

I'm not really sure, Joe, as I don't read the FileMaker books. I'm more of a dive-in-and-see-how-it-works kind of guy. (Although this strategy failed me when FileMaker 3 came out. Didn't learn about portals for several months. :P ) I've heard good things about the Special Edition Using FileMaker books (and the authors seem like pretty bright people when you meet them.)

You might check the FileMaker Resource section of the forums, as I'm sure this question has been asked before. I think the FMPug also publishes reviews about various books and thingys.

This topic is 6470 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.