Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Migration problem from 6 to 7 or 8

This topic is 6477 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

I have a problem with some of my scripts that were created in Filemaker 6. The problem occurs when one file opens another file and attempts to enter a value for a field. The field from the second file also has relationships with a field from the first file. The error I get when this script is executed in Filemaker 7 or 8 is "This record cannot be modified because it is already being modified in a different window." I did not recieve this error with the filemaker 5. Is this a priveledges issue? Or is there some field preference that needs to be able to modify the same field in multiple windows?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Being modified in a different window is filemakers way of telling you that the cursor is positioned in a field when you opened the new window.

There are several ways to solve this issue, but the most obvious is to issue a "commit record" in the script before calling the other files script. However could there be an issue of loosing focus, if say it's a particular portal row you made a GTRR from - this will require a scriptparamter to get the value to use in the other file instead.

But I would like to urge you to change your system into having one file for interfacing, and not use the window option when GTRR'ing. I know that it can be quite a handfull to make in just one blow - and suggest you investigate this template:

http://www.newcenturydata.com/downloads/separation_demo.zip

There's perhaps quite a deal irrelevant in the template for your purpose, but if you for starters pull in you TO and scripts from the other files, can you design the needed layout's around them in order to go to new layouts instead of opening windows with your GTRR's.

--sd

This topic is 6477 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.