Barcode reader resources

This topic is 6428 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Can someone point me to a good resource for information about FMP 8.0 compatible Code 128 barcode readers? Or do you have a barcode reader that you love or hate? I don't need a wireless handheld device. A simple scanner "gun" with a desktop stand should work fine. I can't figure out if I need a "keyboard wedge" or if a simple USB reader will work. I don't want to spend more than $200 if possible.

Here's what I need it for:

-I am adding barcodes to each asset of a video tape library.

-I'm using pre-printed code-128 barcode labels, no need for FMP to print barcodes.

-the barcodes will be scanned to create a new record, and then scanned to access and edit a record.

-this is not a networked database at this time, but it may become one later on.

Thanks!

G$

First, any new bar code scanner will work with Code128.

I always go with Serial Bar Code Scanners, as you can use the Troi Serial Plugin to program what you want to happen when you scan a bar code. It's more work to setup, but you never have to worry about OS compatibility, etc. Serial is serial.

The alternative to Serial is Keyboard Emulation (USB/Keyboard Wedge), which demands that you click in the appropriate field before scanning. You can usually program the scanner to send a key command after every scan (to tab or activate a script, for example).

• 1 month later...

Here are two vendors we recommend:

1. We purchase most of our bar code readers through Get Physical! Software, LCC. They offer a full selection of readers at the best prices around and can help you find just what you need. Their customer support is also excellent. You can reach them at (800) 622-0025 or (203) 622-0108. Ask for Todd.

2. Another good company is POS Direct. Tracy is the Account Executive there. She can help you select a good bar code reader that meets your needs. Her number is (800) 622 7670.

Hope this helps!

This topic is 6428 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.