Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Get(NextSerialValue) not working

TJ53

This topic is 6473 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

Not sure what I'm doing wrong ... I defined a calculation field as follows:

GetNextSerialValue (

Get(FileName);

"_kp_field"

)

... where "_kp_field" is defined as an auto-enter serial number. The calculation doesn't show any result (empty) (the data viewer doesn't show any result for this calculation either) I'm sure I'm missing something but I'm lost right now ... any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Edited by Guest

Yes, I've used this in several instances, but not with the syntax you've stated.

This is how I've used it successfully - although this does seem to be in conflict with the FM Help definition.

GetNextSerialValue ( ; )

and this is with defined as an auto-enter serial number with user override enabled.

I've only used defined as 1 (giving me the next serial number incremented by 1 from the current serial number.

Thank you for your help bdavie007 ... I'm an idiot! I just realized that I forgot to put the quotes in the calculation. I had it like this:

GetNextSerialValue (

Get(FileName);

_kp_field

)

whereas should be as

GetNextSerialValue (

Get(FileName);

"_kp_field"

)

The "funny" thing is that when I posted the problem (above) I wrote the right syntax! I'm sorry I wasted your time ... thank very much again for your help!

TJ,

You know when you're just having one of those day? My brain is totally damaged today.

I use SetNextSerialValue - NOT GetNextSerialValue.

I think I'll go out into the lobby and wet my pants in front of everyone just to make my Friday complete!

Still, I think you should look into your use of "_" may be causing a problem (as a reserved character) in the calculation.

I think I'll go out into the lobby and wet my pants in front of everyone just to make my Friday complete!

Good idea, every time I do that it makes me feel much better! :

This topic is 6473 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.