Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Missing something

This topic is 6470 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm new to FMP, I got the Lynda.com tutorial files, but I feel i'm missing something, or can't get my head around basic logic.

Here is my basic thing I want to do. I have one table with contacts and one table with invoices. I do not have products, just services that are different every time, in every invoice. In the invoice table, I have made the amount field, tax field, etc. There is also a contactIDfk in there wich is linked to contactID in the contact table.

All I want to do is to create a button (in contacts) when I have a certain contact, I want to press the button, that make me go to the invoice layout, where that selected adres is shown (from contacts). I now have to fill in the sort of work, amount, the invoice ID is serialized and voila (I hoped). I have no records yet, how should I proceed?

I would recommend a script parameter or a script variable. I'll demonstrate the technique with a script parameter since it is compatible with FileMaker 7, 8 and 8.5. In fact, I already have an example invoice solution so I just added the script to the example file on the Customer layout.

BTW, I have a set of 3 videos at my web site that cover how to create an invoicing solution starting from beginner and ending at advanced. The invoicing example is used through all 3 videos.

joinprint.fp7.zip

This topic is 6470 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.