Intercepting find Requests

This topic is 6466 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'd like to make my FM Data base available to clients so they can see the progress of their jobs, but I don't want them to see jobs other than their own. I've started by adding a script that filters the job list to show only their jobs, And by restricting viewing privileges to records for their company.

SO, when they logon, they see a list of their jobs. IF they are clever enough to select show all records, or perform a find, they see their jobs and a lot of records.

Is there a way to intercept user initiated finds, or show all clicks and insert a filter into the process that continues to hide other job info?

There is no way to intercept finds. What developers usually do is lock down the menus, status area and other features in FileMaker using Accounts & Privileges. Then, they create all the features needed for their solution such as a find script. It might look ike this:

Go to Layout ["Find" (MyTable)]

Enter Find Mode [Pause]

Set Field [MyTable::CreationAccount; Get(AccountName)]

Perform Find []

Go to Layout [original layout]

The CreationAccount field criteria is added just before the find is performed and not shown on the layout so this find criteria will be hidden to the user. In the case of a Show All Records, use a find script that simply performs a find for the current account name with no other find criteria. The only difference from the script above is there is no pause so the find happens without any interaction from the user other than clicking the button.

I haven't gone poking at the menus yet. Last time I did I pretty much shut myself out of the whole thing. Scared me silly.

Assuming I'm brave enough to try again, and clever enough to make it work, is there a way to keep the user from accessing find with Ctrl F?

You can prevent someone from accessing the menus in two ways.

1. Using Accounts & Privileges, you can set the available menus to "editing only" so they still have access to cuty, copy and paste.

2. Using Custom Menus, you can remove menu items, remove keyboard commands, change what the menu item does, etc.

I prefer to combine these two because Custom menus in FileMaker Advanced is not connected to security. In other words, prevent access with Accounts and Privileges and then consider if you want to redesign the menu structure with Custom menus.

This topic is 6466 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.