Server Maintenance This Week. ×

"Autofill" characters

This topic is 6467 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello.

I have a textfield "Test" and a textfield "TestFill"

In "Test" I can write whatever and "TestFill" it will "mirror" "Test".

What I want is to make "TestFill" automatticly be 15 characters, even if "Test" is 8 or 15 characters.

Example:

If I in "Test" have written "Testing" "TestFill" will show " Testing" (also adding 8 blank characters)

Is this possible?

Thanx

Chris

Chris, your request makes little sense in the context in which you've described it.

"will show " Testing" (also adding 8 blank characters)"

Please use real-life explanation of what you are trying to do. You do NOT want blank characters! And why would you want to prefill 0000 in front of text words such as 'test'? You see why we need to know your true situation here? The only time you might want to do this is if creating text IDs but that doesn't seem like what you are requesting.

LaRetta :wink2:

Thank you for your replies.

I'll try to explain what situation I'll use this in.

In my db I have several tables. One of them is called 'customers', one is called 'transport' one 'transreg' and so on.

The 'customer' table has several fields... 'firmID', 'firm', 'address', 'zip', 'summary' and so on.

The 'transreg' table also has several fields, including one called 'firm'.

The field 'firm' in the table 'transreg' is formatted as a drop-down list.

This drop-down list pics its values form the value list 'cutomers', that pics its value from the field 'summary' in the 'customer' table.

This way I can get more info when using the drop-down list, before doing a selection.

As of now I have been using a calculated value 'Firma & " | " & Avdeling & " | " & Adresse1 & " | " & Postnr & " | " & Poststed & " | " & Tlf & " | " & Fax'

What my intention is, is to make a fixed size of each "department"(in lack of a better english word) between the |'s.

Did this make more sence??

Chris

So you came if you had "random" being your "firma" you wanted:

Left(GetAsText(GetAsText("random") & " ") ; 15)

Which says:

Cut out everything but 15 characters from the left in the word "random " - you've only added one gap. Further... um, a bit confused why you think you have to use GetAsText() everywhere, unless your using anything other than a text field, im not sure thats necessary.

Other examples of what this function would do:

"test" = "test "

"monkey " = "monkey "

"antidisastablishmentarianism" = "antidisastablis"

This topic is 6467 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.