Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Dropping link to host

GailyD

This topic is 6454 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We have two Macs sharing peer to peer; whenever the client is closed down the file references are lost resulting in 'file can't be found' when buttons pointing to the host dbase are clicked. Both computers have fixed IP addresses; linked over an ethernet LAN.

I have to either find the file myself or redefine the file reference in each script.

I hadn't experienced this issue before changing to Dev7, maybe I am misunderstanding something but it drives me nuts.....

It's not clear how much troubleshooting you've done with File References. If you go into the Define File References dialog for each file, are there any duplicate File References defined? In the Edit File Reference dialog, are there multiple lines defined for any of them? If yes for either, then they may need to be consolidated (carefully).

But I suspect your problem is from some File References pointing to old locations. If the Files reside in the same folder, then the File References should be very simple, like:

file:Employee

(make sure there's no errant spaces causing mischief).

If some of the files are on one machine and some are on the other, then it gets more complicated. If this is your situation, you'd better give us the details.

Edited by Guest

Pointing to a file over the net, which is what I presume you're doing -- using a "launcher" file -- should look something like:

fmnet:/192.168.2.1/your file

On the host machine, the file refs should look like Ender's example. You may have buttons/scripts in the hosted files that point to old file references.

It may be too late for you, but anyone upgrading from an older version to FileMaker 7 or 8 should clean up the file references by running the files through MetadataMagic before conversion: www.nmci.com

This topic is 6454 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.