Quitting Filemaker Server

This topic is 8082 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We are have a complete Mac network and are running Filemaker Server 5.0.

I need to quit the server every morning, about 3 a.m., and then relaunch the server a couple of minutes later. I have a script that I think will work, but it always just quits the server and does not relaunch the server. I am using Filemaker Server's schedules option to run the script.

Any ideas on how to make it restart Filemaker Server?

Option 1: use iDo Script Scheduler to relaunch the server.

Option 2: make the script restart the Mac, and put an alias of FileMaker Server in the Startup Items folder.

Option 3: post your script so we can look at it. Maybe it needs a "with timeout" or something.

I do not recommend ever having FM Server automatically launch on restart. It can damage the files if there was an inelegant shutdown.

You can use iDO to restart the CPU and relaunch FM Server after a proper shutdown of FM Server. Absent the restart, you can do this all from FM Server.

Old Advance Man

OAM, are you saying after a crash, you should open the files with FileMaker (the application), rather than with FileMaker server? Doesn't the server rebuild the files the same as the app? That's been my experience.

Actually, what I am saying is that crashed files should be tossed in favor of the backup. FM Server is a really stripped down application, and it does not work on files the same way that the FMP application will. Just as I would not continue to use a recovered file, I'd err on the side of caution here.

The better course of action would be to let FMP open the files and run any consistency checks. Then let FMP close the files, and then FM Server can open them.

THe more mission critical the data or the solution, the more stringent the precautions. That's why proper hardware and OS architecture is so critical for CPU's running FM Server.

There will be some additional announcements on this score coming in several weeks.

HTH

Old Advance Man

This topic is 8082 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.