Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Does SmartPill work with FMS8A or just FM clients?

HALBURN

This topic is 6578 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Some newbie questions.

I am just getting ready to dive in and learn how to use PHP with our FMS8A so we can publish information to and from our web server. We host everything internally on Macs and I am trying to figure out where to get started.

I watched the demo video of SmartPill but I am still not clear on how it works with FileMaker Server Advanced. Does SmartPill work with FMS8A or just FM clients?

Yes, SmartPill will run on FMSA and thus it can be used with IWP (Instant Web Publishing) and CWP (Custom Web Publishing).

There are 2 places where you can install the plug-in on FMSA, the first is: [path to FileMaker Server folder]/Extensions/Plugins/ and the other is for web publishing: [path to FileMaker Server folder]/Web Publishing/publishing-engine/wpc/Plugins/

Keep in mind that this simply makes the SmartPill functions available when accessing a FileMaker file using IWP or CWP. SmartPill has nothing to do with publishing data, etc. I'm not sure if I'm answering your question exactly so if not, please let me know.

Yes, I think you have. I was just having some trouble understanding where SmartPill fits into the scheme of things in regards to setting up a server with PHP. I thought that it was an alternative to the FileMaker PHP API or FX.php...but right now I am just getting started and I am not even sure what those do yet.

After watching the video demo of SmartPill I thought that it would replace the need to have a separate install of PHP on our server. But if I understand correctly we will still need install PHP on our web server if we are trying to publish information from FileMaker Server to our company's website.

This topic is 6578 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.