a simple ? re: opening a hosted file

agtjazz

This topic is 6532 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am looking to simplify the opening of a hosted database.

Clients are Mac OS X.... for this database

Database is hosted on Mac OSX Server

Currently I think we have to launch Filemaker and Open Remote etc.

I was hoping to "simplify" this process if possible. (These users are accustomed to opening a database by clicking on an alias from their desktop)

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

You can create a single-user file with an open script that uses the Open script step to open the networked file. Follow it with a Close Window [Current Window] and the single-user file will close. If you have multiple networked files, have the single-user file open to a menu with buttons that Open each of your networked files.

I've used the technique outlined by JMO myself for years, but there are occasions when the server is down and the local file has a nasty habit of forgetting where the server file is.

Applescript could do the job too!

I've used the technique outlined by JMO myself for years, but there are occasions when the server is down and the local file has a nasty habit of forgetting where the server file is.

Which is why I said to trap for errors. I am not a big fan of "Opener Files" and this is one of the reasons. They do work however. They must be set up correctly though. And if, for some reason, the IP address or the resolved domain name of the FileMaker Server CPU is ever changed, these openers may need repointing.

FileMaker-->Open Remote works.

Steven

This topic is 6532 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.