Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Wish: specify a calculated Validation custom message

Ward

This topic is 6567 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

FileMaker 8.5 allows a calculation expression in so many places ... but not in the "Display custom message" field of a field Validation.

For example: I have a validation calculation that tests the field value for several conditions. When the validation fails, I'd like the custom message to specifically identify the error(s). With only the static custom message, all I can do is report a general error ("Something is wrong."), which is not very helpful, or report tedious list of possible errors ("This, that or something else is wrong."), which is confusing.

[i've submitted this to FileMaker, Inc. as a formal problem report.]

This is not entirely imposible, make a few fields extra each having their own validation based on changes in other field, there is a checkbox in the left lower corner to lift, this way you monitor other field, only requirement is that each validation field is present somewhere in order to recieve the layout rendering event in order to recalulate.

Check this template out:

http://www.filemakerpros.com/MultiValidate.zip

--sd

Thanks, Søren, for the MultiValidate sample. I already have one place where I can use this technique.

This multi-field approach is a limited solution because (1) the messages are still static, and (2) the "No" response does not place the cursor in the primary form field.

No that's correct, you need to place a call, say in a always true evaluation.... a call an event trigger plugin to make a script handle such matter!

Dialog plugins might be a better option here:

http://www.24usoftware.com/SimpleDialog

...comes to mind.

--sd

This topic is 6567 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.