Automatic record copying?

HiroshiBB

This topic is 6524 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

hey guys,

I'm totaly new to FM so this is whats up-

I have a Contact managment database going, and I have a field with the calculation

nameFull =nameFirst & " " & nameLast

in table "contact"

and I have the field "name" in table projectAssinment.

what I need to happen is, when I add a new record to contact I need the result of the nameFull calculation to be added to projectAssinment as a new record in the "name" field.

thanx for your advice guys.

The simplest answer to this would probably be to set up the database so that users are requied to create records in the Contact table via a script (and have the script also create a record in the projectAssignment table).

The way to do this would be to set up the users' accounts and menus so that they don't have direct access to the New Record command when they are in layouts based on the Contacts table. Then provide a button and/or a re-pointed menu command which runs a script to create the required records.

I should perhaps add, however, that it is not in keeping with good data design to store the name twice - once in the contact and again separately in the projectAssignment table. It would be far preferable to simply create a relationship via which the relevant name in the contacts table can be "seen" from the relevant record/s in the projectAssignment table. Whereupon changes and corrections etc don't have to be made in multiple places. :wink2:

• Newbies

hmm, maybe I'm going about this the wrong way.

what I'm doing is attaching different contacts to different projects,

so when my boss creates a new project she'll attach a contact i.e. the printing company, an outsourced programer and such.

but with 900 contacts to choose from it seems the easyest way would be to use the "auto-complete" in an edit box. but it wont auto complete unless the record already exsists. right?

• Newbies

I forgot to mention I working off the "iSolutions Client Tracker" template, if your familure with it(come in the creative pro pack) on the projects layou you can add employees to projects, I just want to add contacts exsisting contacts from the "contacts" records instead.

thanx

If you use auto-complete, and the entry you are inputing doesn't exsist, it will still let you enter the new value.

Then the next time you add a record, the last entry you made in the previous record, will be stored.

Dave

• Newbies

If you use auto-complete, and the entry you are inputing doesn't exsist, it will still let you enter the new value.

Then the next time you add a record, the last entry you made in the previous record, will be stored.

Dave

yea but my boss doesnt know everyones first and last name. and I want to be able to click on the portal line and go to there contact page

Do you mean that you want to create a value list based on fullname? Then select the contact from that value list?

If you have an example to upload, it would help me. You do have cobalt sky answering you in this thread as well, and he is an expert. But I am wiling to try to help if I can.

Dave

• Newbies

Do you mean that you want to create a value list based on fullname? Then select the contact from that value list?

Thats exactly what I'm trying to do, but with 1000 or so contact records (none at the moment) it will be impossible to use a dropdown list so auto-complete seems to be the best answer.

here is the data base I'm working with.

http://www.icyberia.net/ClientTracker.zip

on layout "project_formview_assignment copy"

in the portal I need to add contacts to the projects.

thanx

This topic is 6524 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.