Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Custom publishing Vs. Instant

This topic is 8669 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Like many others, I've been using Instant web publishing and have found that scripts don't run unless they are "Go To Layout".

So now I want to do custom web publishing, but can't find any documentation on it other than "Go buy FMPro Developer"

My question is:

Where can I find out how to do Custom web publishing?

All I want to do is run a script when I submit something, how hard is that?!?!

quote:

Originally posted by Rimbuk:

Like many others, I've been using Instant web publishing and have found that scripts don't run unless they are "Go To Layout".

So now I want to do custom web publishing, but can't find any documentation on it other than "Go buy FMPro Developer"

My question is:

Where can I find out how to do Custom web publishing?

All I want to do is run a script when I submit something, how hard is that?!?!

Well, how about go get Claris Home Page 3.0. It's pretty easy to learn and use and not as expensive. However, the help and tech support is close to worthless. But running a script from the internet is pretty easy. In fact, most of the commands are easy. It uses cdml tags , obviously, and they're pretty easy to implement. But let me warn you, once you go away from instant web publishing, you'll never want to go back because custom blows it away. So if you do go to custom, be prepared to start making a bunch of new pages or hire someone (like me wink.gif ) to do it for you.

I would go for the custom!

Jeremy

I've done content creation for the web before, that isn't the problem.

Problem is I'm not sure how to get it to interface with FMPro.

Making web pages with an editor is cake... getting those pages to interface with a database is the part I don't know.

Follow the advice already given, go and get Home Page 3. Get the 30 day trial version if you don't want to buy it.

Then use Home Page's "FileMaker Connection Assistant" to build a set of standard format pages. They are IMHO pretty horrible looking, but they work very well and are an EXCELLENT starting point for your creatvity!

The connection assistant takes care of connectivity. forms, etc. Looks long and hard at the standard format files that Home Page produces, and learn how it all works. It's not hard, just a bit complicated.

Hey Chandra

For what it's worth, I usually manually type each CDML code into Home Page through the HTML source editor. The advantage of Home Page, it displays the forms, IFs etc graphically and logically and lets me format and move them around easily.

This frees up my time for working on more important issues like interface, useability, information design, spending time with my kids, renovating my house, sleeping, etc. ;-)

This topic is 8669 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.