Web Companion External Functions

This topic is 8579 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have been trying to use the Web Companion External Functions... but no success. I have defined a calculation field with one of these funtion. But nothing happens when I access a database via my Web browser. Any suggestions??

I'm not sure if it works with "Instant Web Pub.), but I know with custom you can't preform the calc on the same form that provides one of the calculated fields.

You have to enter the data on one form, submit it, and the response page (or next form) will have the calculation on it.

Create a seperate layout that logs the username, and other fields that you want, then make some text fields that auto enter a calculation based on the External-Web function of your choice:

e.g.

External ("Web-ClientIP", parameter)

Everytime a new record is created you get your data.

• 2 months later...

Aero wrote: "I want to use these functions to create a log of web activities by registering the name of the users on a separate file... Any idea how I could do it in FMP..."

Turn on the activity log! All the stats will be there including TCP/IP number.

The log in FMP4 is in a goofy format making it nigh on impossible to use with server stat software. FileMaker changed it to something standard in FMP 5 so you can use off-the-shelf software to analyse the useage.

Fful wrote: "I know this is a dumb question, but what does "parameter" mean in the external function syntax?"

Your FMP5 reference has the info. The answer is "zero." External("Web-ClientIP", 0)

It must be there for future expansion.

This topic is 8579 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.