Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Running server/clients on router, no Internet

iMarcW

This topic is 6428 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This is more of a general networking question that happens to involve FileMaker. I want to run FileMaker Server on a Mac Mini with 6 client laptops in a convention center with no Internet access involved, just allowing the computers to talk to each other using a router. I'd like for the laptop clients to use a wireless connection to the router and the Mini server to be wired, but I will probably bring cables for all of the laptops just in case.

My question is, do I hook up the server to the uplink port on the router (where the Internet connection would otherwise go) or make it just another node on the other side of the router? If it's the former, how do I configure TCP/IP for the server? (I'm assuming the clients would use DHCP as usual.)

What kind of router/hub do I want for this sort of thing? I think I want at least 7 wired jacks and wireless capability as well, so that probably rules out the basic home routers you can find at OfficeMax.

My question is, do I hook up the server to the uplink port on the router (where the Internet connection would otherwise go) or make it just another node on the other side of the router?

Just connect it to the router/switch as another node.

If it's the former, how do I configure TCP/IP for the server? (I'm assuming the clients would use DHCP as usual.)

The server will be better off having a static IP. This way you can setup an opener file on the clients to open the hosted database.

If you want to use DHCP for your client, you'll need something to act as a DHCP server. Most wireless base stations can handle this.

What kind of router/hub do I want for this sort of thing? I think I want at least 7 wired jacks and wireless capability as well, so that probably rules out the basic home routers you can find at OfficeMax.

If you're not connecting to the Internet, you don't really need a router. A 'switch' will work also. If you can find a router or switch that has the number of ports plus wireless, that's a good way to go (but two separate devices would work too). The brand doesn't really matter. Some people prefer one brand over another for various reasons. In my experience, the cheap ones tend to be a little less stable (go figure). I'm sure you can find more specific reviews and opinions on a Hardware forum.

Just to clarify: A router will be able to give out DHCP addresses, but a switch generally doesn't. But some wireless base stations can give out DHCP addresses to both wireless clients and clients on the LAN.

BTW: A wireless 'bridge' is a little different, usually only passing the LAN information to wireless clients, but not supplying DHCP on it's own.

Thanks for the advice so far.

(After doing some more reading I have figured a few things out and so I've edited the questions to reflect what I've figured out.)

If I have an 8-port switch, can I add wireless capability to it by connecting a wireless access point to one of the wired ports?

I understand that if I use a switch instead of a router, I'll be using static IP addresses for each machine on the network, which is fine. To set those addresses, is it just a matter of going into TCP/IP in Network Preferences and setting whatever IP addresses I want? What about the subnet mask, router and other fields?

I found this FAQ very helpful: http://www.gigafast.com/tech/faq/switches/index.htm

Edited by Guest

If I have an 8-port switch, can I add wireless capability to it by connecting a wireless access point to one of the wired ports?

Sure thing.

I understand that if I use a switch instead of a router, I'll be using static IP addresses for each machine on the network, which is fine. To set those addresses, is it just a matter of going into TCP/IP in Network Preferences and setting whatever IP addresses I want? What about the subnet mask, router and other fields?

As I said, you might be able to get the wireless router to host DHCP on the LAN. But static IPs would work too. If you go with static IPs, you should stay in one of the private address ranges:

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255

172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255

192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

It doesn't matter which you use, just be sure to stay within the same subnet. For example, if you use the 192.168.0.x range, set the wireless base station to 192.168.0.2, set the server to 192.168.0.3, set the workstations to something in the range of 192.168.0.4 - 192.168.0.254. The subnet should be 255.255.255.0, and the router can then be 192.168.0.1. It doesn't matter if you don't have a router at that address if you're not accessing the Internet, but you can always plug one in with that address later, and everything will then have Internet access. You can leave the DNS server fields blank if you don't need Internet access, but it doesn't hurt to put a valid DNS in just in case you do plug in that router later.

This topic is 6428 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.