Dymo Label Printing: Need tips

MacHammer

This topic is 6353 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Greetings.

I'm trying to print labels from FMP 8.5 to a Dymo Label 400 Turbo. I can make it print a label, but not without it kicking out a second blank label behind it. When I try to adjust settings or create a new label layout, I'm confronted with an error that the layout extends past the body onto a second page and that I must change my settings if I wish to use columns. I've tried turning off column printing, but I still get the error.

This might be caused by the fact that I can't actually select the exact model of Dymo Label that we have for use. If I create a custom size, I still get the column error, and selecting other labels if sort of futile, as there are so many and I can't render a guess as to which Avery model might be similar.

I know it isn't uncommon to use FMP to print labels, so I'm hopeful that someone might be able to provide me some tips as to how to make this work best.

Thank you.

Mac Hammer

I now see that the DYMO printers and 8.5 don't play well together - I have a series of layouts and scripts that were working perfectly with 8.0 and earlier which don't print correctly with 8.5 - don't preview - don't print - even though the setup hasn't changed at all.

Backing down to 8.0 resolved (worked around) this issue.

• 4 weeks later...

FYI,

I do not have a dynmo printer but I am guessing my solution will apply to all label printers.

I have a zebra Z6m+ and I had to manually set the page margins in FMP for each layout so that FMP new how big a label actually was.

Even though the print driver and every other application knew the label was 5x7 fmp was using 10"x700" (the maximum roll size).

It took some time but I finally discovered this by viewing in layout mode and realized there was no bottom page boundary line until I stretched the body section all the way down.

This was a trick that worked for me.

• 1 month later...

I cant even print a simple label from a single address field in a basic layout from my FM 8.5 to dymo 330 turbo unless I scale to fit and then it is like looking at a microdot. I have wasted about 50 labels checking settings - its VERY annoying. Did you get your settings working - can you give me some help ?

Hope you are well

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

I have not actually resolved this, though I was fairly comfortable in the advise I'd received that I will be able to resolve it, particularly with the suggestions above about the layout size and body size of the label. I 'have' been able to make improvements to the situation, though I have not made it work, quite yet. I'm about to hand the problem off to a colleague who has a little more time to resolve it than I do. (FM Development is just a small part of my overall position as IT Manager) If she comes up with a solution, I promise that I will post how it was resolved.

Best of luck.

Mac

email from DYMO - i am at the satge now where I have exactly the same issue ie print one label out and a blank follws every time

here is what Symo sent me just now

Cheers

Jonathan

Question:

How to print from FileMaker Pro (MacIntosh version) to the LabelWriter?

Answer:

Set the DYMO LabelWriter as default printer (these steps only need to be followed on Mac OS 8.6 up through 9)

1. On the Mac's taskbar, click the Apple button, then click Chooser.

2. The Printers page is displayed.

3. Click the DYMO LabelWriter icon and select the correct connection type (Serial, uConnect, USB).

To Print from FileMaker Pro to the LabelWriter on a Macintosh

- Launch FileMaker Pro

- Select the option Create a new file using a template

- Select a template

- Click OK > the Create a copy named window will appear type in a file name of your choosing and click Save > the new template window will appear

- Go to File > Page Setup > In the Format for select your LabelWriter > in the Page Size drop down select the label that you are using > then select Orientation and click OK

- Click the New button and enter your data

- Go to View > Layout Mode

-

Two Different ways:

1. New Layout Report

- Go to Layouts > New Layout Report > the New Layout/Report window will appear in the Select layout type menu select Labels and click Next

- Select either Use label Measurement for or Use custom measurements:

Note: If you choose Use label Measurements for you will have the option of selecting the preloaded templates

30256 - Shipping

30325 - VHS Spine

30326 - VHS Top

30277 - File Folder

Note: For all other templates you will need to select Use custom measurements

- In the Labels across the page enter 1

- Enter the Height and width of the label that you wish to use

- Select the Fixed page margins option and zero out all margins

- Click Next and the New Layout/Report window will appear

- Beneath the Specify Label Contents box select the Available fields you wish to have on your label and click the Add Field button or double click on the file name

Note: You will need to put spaces in between the fields and carriage returns at the end of each line as you desire

- Click Next

- Select the View in Preview mode option and click Finish

- Note: If a header and/or a footer appear on the label highlight and delete

- Go to File > Print and click OK

2. Layout Mode

- In the Layout mode, dray the thin line between the 'Body' and the 'Footer' button to the top, so only one label is shown.

Note: make sure the thick line (like the one on the right), isn't shown anymore on the bottom of the label. This would cause an empty label to be printed after your original one.

- Resize your objects so they fit the label. See screenshot below for an example

DID IT !!!!!

2. Layout Mode

- In the Layout mode, dray the thin line between the 'Body' and the 'Footer' button to the top, so only one label is shown.

Note: make sure the thick line (like the one on the right), isn't shown anymore on the bottom of the label. This would cause an empty label to be printed after your original one.

Need to make sure the BODY line is the second line and not the first cutting into the docment edges it seems a little odd when you do it but youll seee what I mean.

Also ensure that ANY fields boundaries are within the printing space and if they are extended out by even a fraction with the toggle handles then the printer will think to print this as well. Very pleased with the result it has only taken 8 hours to figure out !!!!!!

Good luck

JY

This topic is 6353 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.