The New FileMaker 5.5 Product Line

This topic is 8330 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Powerful New Features

Here's what's new for IT in FileMaker Pro 5.5:

Certified for Windows 2000 Logo

Certified by Microsoft for the Windows 2000 platform. Some of the W2K professional features FileMaker Pro 5.5 benefits from:

* Stability

* High reliability

* Self healing applications

* Enhanced security

* Ease of use

* Support for disabled users

* Support for roaming users

FileMaker Pro 5.5 is a certified application for the standard corporate operating system. It is easy to install and maintain. It can help reduce TCO (i.e. by reducing training and support) and integrates with other certified corporate applications within a controlled network environment.

Native Mac OS X Version

Some of the OS X* features FileMaker Pro 5.5 benefits from:

* protected memory

* dynamic memory allocation

* new aqua interface

* PDF import in container fields

More supported platforms for a single application. Easier to deploy across a variety of enterprise desktops.

2-Way Dynamic ODBC*

Dynamic import and update of data to and from ODBC sources

Corporate data sources can be easily integrated in workgroup solutions. Users can run their own reports, freeing valuable IT time.

Record-level Security

Designers can specify calculation formulae to determine browse, edit and delete record password privileges

User access to data can be controlled with flexibility and without need for extensive scripting.

Change Password Privileges

A

I have searched the FileMaker site for a complete description of the new features and cannot find one. Like for instance what are all of the new script steps, the new status functions, etc. Why don't they put a complete listing on their site. It is frustrating. Anyone have any clues.

www.digfm.org has a listing of all the new functions and script steps. but not a whole lot of other information last time i checked. When you go to filemaker's website, choose your current version where it says "Find Out What You're Missing" and that gives a pretty darn good overview of the new features. I also downloaded the trial version. Hey it's free so why not do that as well. Only thing that was much of a big deal to me was the individual record privelages and MS Outlook support for Macs.

Jeremy

quote:

Originally posted by yafreax:

When you go to filemaker's website, choose your current version where it says "Find Out What You're Missing" and that gives a pretty darn good overview of the new features.

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

yafreax

• 3 weeks later...

The digfm site highlights the new scripts with a graphic.

The highlighted scripts are 1. Allow Toolbars, 2. Open Hosts, 3. Set Next Serial Value and 4. Send Mail

And if I read everything correctly the only version with an enhanced Web Companion (i.e., it allows multi-threading which should permit the scripts to be run successfully when near-simultaneous requests are made) is the Unlimited version.

This topic is 8330 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.