Web Security Database Usage

This topic is 8553 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Got an odd little behavior problem with the web security databases that I thought I'd run by everyone here to see what you thought.

I have 2 FMPro 4.1 clients runnings the web companion. I have recently switched over from regular FM security on all web databases to web security. I'd like to mount the security databases on our FM Server and then have each FMPro client load the security databases through a start up script. That way I have one security database that both clients use instead of two separate local databases that I have to update in tandom.

I've taken this approach and the FMPro clients appear to acknowledge the Web Security.fp3 database as mounted and open but I can see that when someone hits a web database through the web companion because I can see that database shift and search as web visitors access various databases. As I understand how the Web Security.fp3 database process works, when a call come in from the web companion for security info, a search is performed in the Web Security.fp3 database for a record with a matching name as the database that's being accessed by the web user. When that record is found, the security info is given to the web companion and everyone is happy.

The problem is... when the FMPro clients load the security databases from the FM Server, they can not successfully find matching security records for the databases being accessed on the web. If I load the security databases from the local hard drives on the clients, everything happens as it should.

Is there a specific reason why the Web Security.fp3 database (and two related databases) can't be loaded from an FM server? Why would the FMPro clients not be able to look up database security records when the security database is not loaded locally? I have given all the databases a password but they doesn't keep them from operating when the databases are loaded locally.

Thanks for the info and insite.

I wouldn't think it would matter where the security database gets loaded from since it's just data. If the database hasn't been opened by hand then the web companion gripes that it can't find it so it's obviously (IMHO) not "hard coded" to look for it in the Web Security directory or it would open it itself.

Plus, the web companion searches the security database no matter if it's loaded from the local Web Security directory or an FM Server. The only difference is, when the security database is loaded from the FM Server, it doesn't find security records for the databases being accessed. It comes up with 0 records in the found set and spits out an error to the web client. And I knoooooowww that there is a record in the security database for the database(s) being accessed.

quote:

Originally posted by dwolfe:

... so it's obviously (IMHO) not "hard coded" to look for it in the Web Security directory or it would open it itself...

I was trying hard with v. 4 to put Security Databases somewhere else and/or rename them WITHOUT success. I didn't try that with v 5 yet.

This topic is 8553 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.