Server Maintenance This Week. ×

outstanding database lock

This topic is 6383 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

i am getting these messages in the log:

Oct 31 16:31:22 fmserver INFO: Could not pause file "employee.fp5" because of an outstanding database lock from guest "Some Username".

Basically when this happens, it freezes up my whole Server and noone can login anymore. The onyl thing giving relief is rebooting the server, and reverting to an old copy of the database. Any ideas how to help this?

My current Filemaker Server Version is 5.5 v4

Sounds like it is trying to pause the database to do a scheduled backup. I guess the lock means someone has the cursor in a field on a record. Maybe the server waits for each to leave a record, then backs up, and maybe that pause is timing out.

Food for thought! Hopefully someone else knows more about these details!

Worse than that: seems like someone is accessing the files directly without going through "open remote". FMS is trying to get exclusive lock on the file and failing.

If you have OS level sharing active on the folder (or any parents) where the live FM files live, you will corrupt the files in the long run.

Do a search in the FMI knowledge base on your error: http://www.filemaker.com/kb

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

i dont have filesharing enabled, people open the db trough an opener file. also, why would the server not be able to make a lock when a user has his cursor in a field? this didnt happen before, just started recently. i posted a message on the kb , as there wasnt a reference to my problem. it seems to be connected to a bad network segment, as i found out a little later i had packet loss from the client pinging to the server. odd, but true. after i fixed the link, (and reverted to a good copy, grumpf) everything worked fine for a while, today the same thing is happening again.

This topic is 6383 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.