Server Maintenance This Week. ×

My wants list...

This topic is 6381 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Becomming an intermediate FM Developer this is what I would like to see...

Layout Grouping

Group Layouts into folders and sub folders for easier navigation and general tidiness.

Not dissimilar to Photoshop's Layers and Layer Grouping.

Intelligent Layout & Script Searching

I start typing and it filters the layout list down to layers containing what I am typing.

The Same for script searching, IMO this is a very key feature thats around in many apps for years, like spotlight's search functions.

Global Script control

The ability to globally switch a script off or on without having to comment out the script.

//this isn't a major thing just more of a time saving task.

Error/Useage Logging

Better error logging so that one can easily create a log table/layout so that they can debug or see errors.

Currently I believe you have to know what the expected error is and create a record for it with a description e.g create a log table up from scratch.

Templates

Now this is a WIP but heres the gist..

-Create a layout template that contains default contents like parts with their custom settings and positions etc etc.

-Create a new table will auto populate my predefined default/templated fields into it.

-Buttons and objects or the like can adopt a template style that when changed they will also change either globally for the database or for that one layout, This would enable easy custom colour changes etc etc (not sure how clever an idea this actually ids -lol)

Variable Controls

The ability to see in one window what variables are created or used in the database and what they are currently doing/holding.

The ability to modify the variable by either flushing/clearing its contents, rename it, make it a global or non global.

The ability to drill down and see variable occurances to see where/when/how each variable is used.

More to come...

Edited by Guest

Tools/Data Viewer may be what your looking for if your using 8.5 Advanced as your profile says...

Ahh yes the data viewer its only recently I have been utilizing this tool, what I really meant was a list of variables without having to know them or input them.

You can do this with access privilages ... but you probably mean the Debug Script window which you can not do this in.

Yes from the debug script window would be good also from the script maker window without having to enter the script and //disable it.

what I really meant was a list of variables without having to know them or input them.

I don't think it would be possible to get a list of all the variables used in a file. Variables can be declared from a number of unusual locations where FileMaker only knows about them after they've been declared. Then script variables only persist while the script is running. I suppose it may be possible to get a list of any declared global variables, but that's about it.

Global Script control

The ability to globally switch a script off or on without having to comment out the script.

//this isn't a major thing just more of a time saving task.

Short of this functionality, you might try inserting an Exit Script step, which accomplishes the same thing.

Layout Grouping

Group Layouts into folders and sub folders for easier navigation and general tidiness.

Not dissimilar to Photoshop's Layers and Layer Grouping.

I kinda like this idea.

Edited by Guest

I would also like the idea of being able to put layouts in to "groups"

For example, i have 10 modules so roughly... 200 layouts, but here's the thing... even though i alphabetically order everything and name my layouts appropriately etc... Well, if the layout is anywhere past the second module, i have to scroll down... a long way, and if its anywhere at 5+... well, i just keep scrolling and scrolling, god help me if i select the wrong one, i might go break something.

Anyway, i was angry a few months ago, so i put together a simple nav technique.

As an interim solution see: http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?fid/25/tid/181969/pid/228531/post/228531/#228531

If I may add ??? how about ability to lock a session after inactivity or to be able to run a script if no mouse or Keyboard activity has been noted !

How about ability to handle a true RTF format ( mixed pic and text ) in a container field !

How about ability to use drawing tools, pen or shapes and colors in the browser mode for pic modifications !

How about ability to scan directly into FMP without Plugins !

How about ability to address a field without formal way of picking a field in the scriptmaker routine !

How about ability to call a script on other machines ?

How about ability to save the webviewer ?

How about file menapulation tools and easier way of import and export and naming files ?

I can go on for ever !

Come on FMP staff ! WE NEED MORE !!!

You need to understand that you have a diverse audience with a large APPETITE !

Granted there are Plug ins for some of these but I think FMP is slacking and some of these need to be a component of the engine !!!!

We need major changes, and new blood in the design and improvement of the FMP. I love FMP , but a lot of us reaching its limits in what it can do.

Xoomaster

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6381 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.