interoperability + open source

EZ

This topic is 6401 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Folks,

I am considering the use of Filemaker for an internal database for an organization of about 5 people. One of their concerns is the interoperability of filemaker with open source document formats such as Open Office. I think their main concern is that filemaker will work with other systems they have in place, open source or commercial. Too boot, they wanted to know if there is any other open source database software comparable to filemaker. I'm familiar with filemaker but on these two issues a bit lost.

Can anyone shed some light on this or at least point me in the right direction to ask. Filemaker wasn't able to answer these questions.

Thanks!

I have deleted your post in FileMaker Resources. FM Forums would prefer you don't double post. Folks around here will help you just as quickly regardless where you place your question. :wink2:

LaRetta

I'm not sure what you're looking for in terms of "interoperability" (I don't think MS Office even directly interfaces with FM7 and later). But FileMaker does support a wide variety of import and export formats. If your open source programs work with those, then you should be in business.

As for open source databases, you may find something for one particular platform or another, but I don't think you'll find something that's cross platform, with the easy development interface, and the maturity of FileMaker.

This topic is 6401 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.