Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Locking out Layouts

VeloDoug

This topic is 6364 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if this question has been asked and answered many times. I have a certain Layout set up in my company-wide FM7 database that I would prefer to restrict access to. Is there a simple way to do this? At issue is the total revenue generated by the company and by certain clients. Employees don't think that expenses exist and are fixated on the bottom line revenue number when it comes time for salary reviews, bonuses, etc. I'd like to shield those prying eyes if I can.

I also have a certain prying employee that is becoming adept at the software and could easily create a temporary layout and run the numbers and then delete it before I notice. Is there also a way to prevent the addition of a fee field across the board?

Look at Define > Accounts and Privileges

Then setup the user accounts

(you should be the only one with admin access)

then

customise some privilege sets so they can only see what they are allowed to.

Either lock them out of whole tables or choose specific fields

Make sure they can not create or modify scripts.

Lock them out of layout mode

Then enjoy watching them all get upset as they realise the game is up and go for a nice coffee ... also if they need anything done now they will have to be nice to you. Ofcourse this could make you 1000 times busier ... but you really needed this security anyway.

OH and put a copy of the admin password in the Safe incase the run over by a bus senario happens.

hehe

What you are looking for is to setup up custom privilege sets. Once you setup these priv sets up you can assign the users to these sets. There are plently of posts on here about it as well as the FM tech briefs / whitepapers found on the FM website here.

I agree!

If your users have developer rights, locking a layout will be like putting a bubble gum in a pipe leak. It will stop until they find another way.

Security is there for this kind of thing, your data is precious. Protect it.

IMHO,

Tim

These are all reasonable suggestions. Most can be circumvented by knowledgable persons. Using the Privilege Set custom prvileges for records, make the data to all classes of users who do not need to have access. That will significantly strengthen your protection.

Steven

This topic is 6364 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.