Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Layout crashes FMP

John Chamberlain

This topic is 6363 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have suddenly encountered a problem with a layout in a file that has been very stable (up 'til now).

This file has 17 different layouts. When I go into Layout mode I can work with 16 of them just fine. But, when go into the other one, FMP crashes.

I have tried a recovered copy, and a backup copy from a week ago, and both do the same.

I repaired the disk permissions and closed all other applications, except the finder.

HELP!!!

Can you try using the database on another computer?

That will help determine if it is a problem with your DB (which I think is unlikely), a problem with your OS, or a problem with your installation of FileMaker.

Try it on a Mac and a PC if you can...

Chris

I had some problems with what appeared to be a corrupt layout earlier this year.

The cause in some manner was connected to 1px long horizontal lines. I'm certain of this because for a time I was able to create a brand spanking new database with no fields, no scripts, nothing else, except a 1px horizontal line and as soon as I moused over the line, FM would bomb-out. I could reproduce the problem on both my home and work machines but not all machines at the office.

A system reboot seemed to fix things for a while but eventually it would come back. I assume the root cause is hardware or graphics card related but I don't know for sure. For me it would occur on both XP and W2K.

I have solved the problem by not creating any 1px lines anymore.

I had a similar problem a while ago and the advice I was given on this forum was that it was probably a corrupt image/element on the layout. I was advised to delete the layout (which worked) - see http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=4704&p_created=1115172871&p_sid=MeijtdFh&p_lva=4666&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NTc5JnBfcHJvZHM9MCZwX2NhdHM9MCZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PURlbGV0aW5nIGEgRGFtYWdlZCBMYXlvdXQ*&p_li=&p_topview=1

Now this is REALLY spooky!

I saved a clone of the original file. I was able to open the bad layout, do a Select All, create a new layout, and paste in the layout. I then deleted the layout that was causing the problem, and renamed the new one to the old name. Then the crash no longer happened.

Here's the weird part - I went back to the original file, opened it, went to the troublesome layout, went into Layout mode, and I COULDN'T GET IT TO CRASH!

I sometimes wonder if I will ever understand any piece of software completely!

Anyway, thanks again

This topic is 6363 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.