all about emails

skynight

This topic is 6330 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I realise I know very little about FM. I am trying without success to develop an email function. I have a field that calculates the days "overdue" following a "due date" that is entered for something to happen. The field looks at today's date and shows a negative number if there is still time to go and a positive number if it is overdue. I want the program to email me when there is, say, 10 days remaining before the due date if the action has not been completed.

I understand how to save a copy of the record in PDF and then to tell it to email that record, but how do I initiate it? Can it send the file and the email without the program being opened and running? If the critical time for sending the email is on a weekend and I am not in the office to open the program, how would it happen?

Would someone please look at the script I tried (it did not work) and let me know where I am going wrong please, and help me to set up the necessary commands to make it so? Thanks..

If[Days Overdue -10]

Save records as PDF[Restore; no dialog; "Due.pdf";Automatically open;create email;Current record]

Send Mail[No dialog; to:"[email protected]"; subject:"Watch out";Message:"Warned you"; "Due.pdf"]

End if

Hi,

Are you using FMP8? If so, this worked for me:

If[Days Overdue -10]

Save records as PDF[Restore; no dialog; "Due.pdf";Automatically open;Current record]

Send Mail[No dialog; to:"[email protected]"; subject:"Watch out";Message:"Warned you"; "Due.pdf"]

End if

I removed the "create e-mail" option in "Save records as PDF". I do however get a security warning "A program is trying to automatically send an e-mail on your behalf", which requires a user prompt (there are third party add-ins that can turn this off, just Google the warning message and you will find them).

If you want this script to run 24/7 then your FMP will have to run 24/7 as well. You could create a loop, but the most reliable way to fire a script for me turned out to be to use a third party tool of which there are a few. I personally use Dacons Scriptfire.

Peter

Thanks for the help, it is appreciated. What do I do with this script (it is a script?). How do I associate it with the field and make it run? Do I make it a calculation field? Or will the script just run if I store it in the scripts list? Pardon me for my iggerence, I tell people there is no such thing as a stupid question but maybe this disproves that statement!

This topic is 6330 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.