Save Records As PDF

This topic is 6316 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm running FileMaker 8.5 Advanced on an Intel iMac and running the "Save Records As PDF" script step seems to without fail crash the application.

I read about a fix online at GoFileMaker.com (http://www.gofilemaker.com/search_np_detail.php?id=50) that said "remove any periods from the name of the file being exported" but that doesn't work in that the files I was saving didn't have any periods in them in the first place.

Anyone else know of any fixes for this problem or do I just wait and hope that a future update takes care of the problem?

There is no general problem with save as PDF on Intel Macs. There must be some issue with your computer or file. Can you post an example file that crashes for you?

BruceR - "There is no general problem with save as PDF on Intel Macs."

Well maybe or maybe not. Given that I did find that article on GoFileMaker.com (http://www.gofilemaker.com/search_np_detail.php?id=50) that said "remove any periods from the name of the file being exported" that is entitled "FileMaker 8.5 Crashes with Save Records As PDF on new Intel Macs" I at least know I am not the only one experiencing the problem. The problem for me is the solution described there doesn't work for me.

BruceR - "There must be some issue with your computer or file. Can you post an example file that crashes for you?"

It's any and every Filemaker file I have on my machine. They all crash FMP when running the "save as PDF" script step. I'll upload a FMP file I just made from one of the templates that is supplied by filemaker. The only modifications I made to the file are adding two button with "save as PDF" script step in them just so I could see if it was something I was doing or if the problem is in the application. It still crashed the application for me. Thinking it might be a memory problem or conflict with something else running I even tested it quitting everything and leaving FMP as the only open application on my computer and it still crashes.

To_Do_List.fp7.zip

PS I should add that I also just ran that test file using FMP 8.0 Advanced and while it didn't crash I got the message:

" "test.pdf" could not be created on this disk. Use a different name, make more room on the disk, unlock it or use a different disk."

And it didn't make any difference what filename I used or which disk I tried to save it to (and everything is unlocked and there is plenty of room) it still ran into the same block.

Like I said - there are no problems with this function. No errors, nothing, works perfectly. Though I wonder why you aren't using script variables to control the file name and path.

BruceR - "Like I said - there are no problems with this function. No errors, nothing, works perfectly...."

So Bruce since I see you're running 8 Advanced Mac OS X Tiger are you telling me you are also running it with no problems on an [color:blue]Intel iMac like I am?

BruceR - "....Though I wonder why you aren't using script variables to control the file name and path."

Who said I'm not? In the database application I'm trying to get the script step to work in (a construction estimating and job control application) I do use script variables to control the file name and path. The simple file I uploaded I did to see if what was making it crash was the naming of the file and its path (it turns out it wasn't, it crashes no matter how the script step is programed)

The script step works fine on my G3 Pismo (Tiger) laptop, my G4 Sawtooth (Tiger), and on my Windows box but crashes on the Intel iMac. Since about 20% of my solutions users are running Intel iMacs I want to find out first if there is a fix for this and if there isn't I need to tell them about this bug when I distribute this forthcoming upgrade.

it crashes on my mac book pro, i also noticed in one of my files it does this but did not do this the other day so an answer would be welcome.

Ps Paradigm i like how the auto date works on your file

also if i go to

FILE save/send records as PDF the APP crashes ;) i have only had FM8.5 Advanced installed on a fresh copy of OSX for 2 days

Edited by Guest

i have reinstalled OSX and FMpro 8.5 ADV and still the same crash every time i go to save send as PDF,FM crashes every other app i have does not do this when i print to PDF. please help i have deleted the .plist but still the same problem

• 2 weeks later...

Okay i have found an answer just create a new account on the offending machine and the problem disappeared, :yay:

If it doesn't crash when logged into a new account, then it's something extra in your home account (duh). The 1st place to look is in the Preference Pane, Accounts, Login Items. It's kind of odd though, because you said this was a brand new OS X install. So you'd think any account would have the same login items.

Another place to look would be in your Preferences. But those should only be in effect (more or less) when the owner application is running. You can use an app to test for corrupt Preferences, such as "Preferential Treatment". Once again, shouldn't be many different Preferences in a fresh OS install; unless you've installed apps again, or used the "Migration Assistant.app" wizard to bring in old Preferences from a previous machine (an questionable "timesaver," since it can bring in lots of obsolete stuff; but good stuff also :)-).

Another way to test is to start up in Safe Boot, holding down the Shift key at startup. Then you're not running most of the Startup Items (and other stuff also; not sure which).

Here's another way to see login items, AppleScript run in Script Editor:

do shell script "defaults read loginwindow | grep Path"

to write to a text file:

do shell script "defaults read loginwindow | grep Path > ~/Desktop/login_items.txt"

Thanks for the help here Fenton.

I will confirm Robert's fix. I had previously tried running the Save As PDF script on some of the other accounts I already on my machine and the application crashed but reading Robert's post I tried creating a brand new account and it worked.

That said I'm not so sure the problem is in the login items. One of the existing accounts on my machine doesn't have any login items at all and otherwise looks identical (as far as I've looked so far) to the new one I just created.

Can you think of some of the other places I might look? Is there anyway of reading the crash report to identify what possibly might be the offending file that trips the crash?

I also get this problem, on another brand new Imac, running 8.5pro i have to go to the OSX printer dialog and print to pdf save the pdf on the desktop then print from there in preview.

i have used preferential treatment and no problems found

i also have a far greater problem aswell see here

http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/182961

which is only a filemaker issue.

PS: fenton can i create a new admin account and delete the old one will i lose anything thanks

[color:purple]THE SOLUTION :smile2:

Okay so i have fixed the culprit, download this freeware onyx

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20070

Run it and clear all your kernal etc... in fact use every TAB the program has filemaker now runs quicker and no more crashes.

i guess FM got corrupted when i dragged other Apps over from my external hard disk. at last i can sleep.:tigger:

i thank macmentor.org for the answer

:)

This topic is 6316 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.