Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Count of Value List

This topic is 6353 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a check box value list of whether a record is a bar or restaurant. Each bar or restaurant runs in one or many issues of the magazine. I would like to take a tally of which issues a bar or restaurant has run. The issue number changes every Thursday.

So, 01/04/2007 the issue number will be 96 and Joe's Restaurant will be listed in that issue and in issues 97 and 99 but not 98. Not logical, but an example because some restaurants get relisted months down the line.

I'm trying to think this through, but because I'm a beginning programmer, I just can't get my head around it. Can someone help me see this through? I've looked at the following post which comes close to what I'm trying to do:

http://www.fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/182212/

but there doesn't seem to be a resolution.

Thanks,

k

Edited by Guest

k, I'm going to get the ball rolling with a reply. feel free to mention if I'm completely off my rocker for doing it this way.

I have ISSUE.NO as a calculation where it equals

(Get(Current Date) - Date (3; 3; 2005))/7 and the field hides the 2 decimal places and I'm left with the correct issue number. That March date is the first issue date as you might have guessed.

...and that's as far as I've gotten. Now if I can take that information and indicate that for every Thursday a check box from my value list is checked, record the issue number into a field. I'm thinking some sort of append will take place along with that so it reads 92, 93, 94 and so forth. I'm calling this field RUN.TIME.

It is hard to say without an example file. But if I am hearing you correctly, you want a list of all issues that a particular bar may have been in.

So when you go to the record for Joe's bar, I can see what issues Joe's bar has been in?

If so, then you need a portal on the layout you use to look at Joe's bar, and in that portal it will show all related records found in the table where you keep those records.

Does that help?

Dave

This topic is 6353 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.