Get ( ActiveLayoutObjectName ) Questions

This topic is 6341 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

What criteria makes a Layout Object active (is that more correctly called "Focus")?

For I project I'm working I have a button that appears on every single layout so that any of my clients users can click on it and it will send me an email telling me about a bug or feature they would like related to where they are in my application.

The send email script step send me a message using the following:

"Hello Jerrald. I wanted to report a bug or suggest a feature that I thought of while working in the" & ¶ & ¶ &

"File Name: " & Get ( FileName )& ¶ &

"Table: " & Get ( LayoutTableName ) & ¶ &

"Layout: "& Get ( LayoutName ) & ¶ &

"Active Layout Object: " & Get ( ActiveLayoutObjectName ) & ¶ & ¶ &

"What I discovered was....(enter your comments here)"& ¶ & ¶ &

"Thanks "& ¶ & Get ( UserName )

So I know what File, Table, and Layout they are in but the Get ( ActiveLayoutObjectName ) function never seems to return anything.

I spent a lot of time naming all the Tab Panels I have as objects but never see their names returned as Get ( ActiveLayoutObjectName ) results even though I can at time tell from the descriptions in the email they are working inside a particular Tab Panel.

Which brings up the another question I guess I have too. When you give a Object Name to a Tab Panel Tab are you giving that name to just that Tab or to the whole Tab Panel?

When you name tab objects, you are naming each tab panel.

As for Get(ActiveLayoutObjectName), it could be because the 'Active' status has traditionally been for when a cursor has activated a field .

If you click on the tab panel, it will not know that it is active. However, if you click on a field, and immediately click on a tab panel, and the the button, it will give you the tab object name. You can do this as long as you do not click outside of an object (ie background layout) thus committing the record.

You know playing around with this this morning I created a calculation field I called ActiveLayoutObject set to Get ( ActiveLayoutObjectName ) and I then made a button that I gave an object name of "Button" to and clicking on the button it I still get nothing,...nadda?

I still don't get it.

A button will not become an ActiveLayoutObject unless it's included in tab order and tabbed to, I think.

In any case, a calculation field is not a good way to test this, since it requires a screen refresh to update. Make yourself a script that shows the ActiveLayoutObject in a custom dialog. Then alternate between calling the script by the button or by a keyboard shortcut.

This topic is 6341 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.