Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Find records and New Record scripts

RDWirr

This topic is 6349 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a form with some fields for entering data into an inventory table. There is a portal on the form that shows the records related through a self-join to the PartsCode field in the Inventory table. I need to have the PartsCode field on the form perform two functions. One for entering new records and one for finding the related records in the portal.The PartsCode field has a popup with the list of Partcodes from a related bill of materials. Currently, when I select an item from this popup, it will find related the records in the portal, just through the relationship, but it also automatically creates a new record in the inventory table. This I can't have. I want it to add new records only when I click a "New Record" button which opens the Partscode popup and allows me to select from the list and after filling in the other fields on the form, clicking a "Commit" button either on a popup dialogue or a button on the form.

I tried using a find script triggered by clicking the PartsCode field but then it wants me to enter a value in every other field on the form also. I need the portal to display all record related to the Partscode from the inventory self-join.

Anyone have a beginners way to do this?

BTY, if any of you wizards out there can help me with a validation problem, this is also something I have to solve. On the Inventory form I mention above. I have a qty field that I enter the qty of parts into an inventory record. This field is validated by a calculation that is supposed to assure that the inventory level of the total of a particular PartCode never goes below 0. This tested value is coming from a related table. My calculation works but only when modifying the record. When I first enter a new inventory record, even if the qty causes the calculated field to go below 0 it still accepts it. When I modify this same value, then the validation catches it. I have tried with Validate on Entry and Validate Always both ways but the result is the same. Any ideas?

Thanks,

RDW

This topic is 6349 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.