Merging Databases

Nagasaki

This topic is 6312 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have two seperate databases, "members" and "mailing" that are currently related to one another through a customer id field (this is so that all the contact info put into the mailing database will pop up into members). My coworkers are annoyed that whenever you work in one, you have to have the other open as a result of the relationship, so I want to try to do is merge the two. I was thinking of importing the "members" records into the mailing database and just creating a new layout for members in that database. But because my members use the fields on the mailing table, how do I import so that my members records just show up on my members layout? Does this sound feasible, or like more work than it is worth? There are presently over 10,000 mailing records and 400 member records, so I am more than a bit afraid of messing things up.

And what do your co-workers know about database design?

It is of no consequence to the users that the other file must be open, but they do not have to manually open the file as it will open automatically once they are on a layout that uses the relationship.

If it works, don't fix it.

This topic is 6312 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.