Runtime Vs. Full Version

gbrown

This topic is 6327 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Ok, after reading these forums I learned that runtimes can't connect to a remote file. So IF (a big IF) I provide a full version to each of my 300 clients won't that kill my custom menu's? I don't want my clients to have access to all of the menu's and stuff that will just confuse them and cause problems.

Any ideas?

The init script can be made privilege sensitive and load the correct Menu Set you have customized.

You need to read this document: http://www.foundationdbs.com/Downloads/WhitePaperForFMPNovices.pdf and specificly page 9...11

--sd

Thanks Soren for the link - some very good info there!! The limitations of the runtime make me angry - partly because I can't do what I want to do but also because FMI is missing a serious niche market. Niche markets are so hard to come by in any industry and here FMI has one but is cutting it's own foot off by trying to sell a $300 DEVELOPMENT tool to end users who don't need one. Runtimes should be stripped of all development functions but should be able to connect to any and all data sources.

I'm wondering if Alpha 5 is a better choice?

What is the definition of a REMOTE file here?

Runtimes can be hosted through FM Server - that would be a remote file in FM networking, although the limitations are a single user connection.

What is your scenario?

here FMI has one but is cutting it's own foot off by trying to sell a $300 DEVELOPMENT tool to end users who don't need one

You shouldn't ignore that it (the standard $299 version) serves 5 users via IWP, and if you dislike the interfaces produced in standard browsers take a closer look at Runtime Revolution and make your own in it instead.

--sd

This topic is 6327 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.