Data entry on grouped data - technique required

kpolston

This topic is 6340 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi

I would like to know of a technique in Filemaker that will let me achieve “data amendments on grouped data”. An example might better illustrate what I mean. Consider a table with three fields – mydate, mynumber and mytext. I would like to run a script that would process the data to group the above fields together (sorted by mydate) formatted in a manner similar to the example below with the important proviso that I can then amend the data. Basically, if I could enter data using the columnar list/report with grouped data then that would be ideal, unfortunately this technique seems to be display only (it works in preview mode). Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Kevin

31 Dec 2006

31 Dec 2006     1234       cat

31 Dec 2006     5678	dog

01 Jan 2007

01 Jan 2007      1111	hello

01 Jan 2007      2222	goodbye

01 Jan 2007      3333	some more text

02 Dec 2007

02 Dec 2007      0000      kitten

02 Dec 2007      7777      puppy

The idea was to use a calculated Date field that would display the date only if it's different from the date of the previous record. The formula would be that:

Case( Date ≠ GetNthRecord( Date, Get( RecordNumber ) - 1 ),

Date )

This field would make visible groups if the list is sorted by date. Other fields will still be editable. You can also add the Date itself and edit it as well, but of course as you do it, the order of records won't change and the updated record won't jump into the correct group: you'll have to re-sort the records again.

This topic is 6340 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.