Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Fileamker and OLAP

This topic is 6139 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Dear Xtrim,

Based on my past experience of the OLAP tool, Pilot Decision Support Suite. It has a multi-dimensional backend database. Other than the time dimension, programmer can specify multi-level structure within each dimension and even alternate structure. End user only need to select the elements from each dimension concern to view information interested. FileMaker is not an OLAP tool. It is possible to design a simple OLAP database using FileMaker. But I do not recommend as it is difficult and is unlikely to withstand additional dimension required later.

Also note that some OLAP tool has optional analyzer that help to "find" relations within the multi-dimensional database. FileMaker cannot do this, the user has to tell the FileMaker programmer the relationship in one way or another (eg, sample Invoice).

Dear Xtrim,

So sorry, I was not in the forum since. I only came across Pilot Decision Support Suite which I took data from Oracle. It has an Excel Add-on to enable retrieving data to Excel then. I would rate it 8/10 at user point of view.

However, I do not recommend you retrieving data from OLAP tool to FMP as OLAP tool can generate cross tab view dynamically and it also able to thrill down to details but not FMP.

It is perfectly fine that you feed data from FMP to OLAP tool. There are three types of OLAP, namely:

MOLAP - Multidimensional OLAP

ROLAP - Relational OLAP

HOLAP - Hybrid of the above (not sure of the "H")

Frankly speaking, I haven't had update on OLAP tool since 1999. There may be new developments, do find out for yourself. My apology for not up-to-date info. ;)

• 5 months later...

This topic is 6139 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.