Runtime and Recover File

jeffshap

This topic is 6329 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Could someone confirm what happens with the database when you use "Recover File[]" and "Perform Without Dialog" in a Runtime? Am I correct that in the *NON* Runtime, it creates a new file and adds "Recovered" to the end of the recovered file which is in fact the recovered file, however, through the Runtime it creates a new file and adds "Old" to the end of the file name which is in fact the original file recovered and the recovered file is now the named the same as the original file?

Edited by Guest

Yep, that's right.

Full FMP = recovered

Runtime = Old

However, to run Recover in a runtime you must have a script available as the option is removed from the File menu.

Additionally Recover can only be run on closed files in either scenario, which isn't a problem for fulll FMP as you can run FMP without a file being open, however your runtime solution must have the master file open at all times - so you could never recover the master file.

Sounds like you need to provide a second runtime solution to run the recover facility - but backups are still the best option.

Not sure about which file is which, but it would make sense for runtime recoveries to be the original otherwise they can't be run in their solution.

Thanx for the confirmation, I could not find this documented anywhere. Since I am somewhat new to FMP I wanted to be sure in my user instructions that the same function operates differently depending on which mode they are running.

FWIW, I created a completely new database file that just has the "Recover" script in it. When I call the script, it starts out by closing the other open files and then does the recovery.

Just a word of caution. You shouldn't really use Recovered files. The operation is only to be used on damaged files to salvage the data, so it can be moved into a clean (uncrashed) clone, which you have saved for these rare occassions.

This topic is 6329 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.