Server Maintenance This Week. ×

display all found records in single field?

This topic is 6280 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm a fairly novice FMP user.

I'm trying to create a field that will display all the entries from another field within a found set. Can someone enlighten me?

i.e. this is for emails. To search for a set of email contacts and then have a cut & paste field in which I can copy them all at once.

Thanks!

In FMP 5 you may need to use scripting after you perform the find. With a global field and a script something like...

Setfield [g_MyGlobalTextField; ""]

Loop

Setfield [g_MyGlobalTextField; If(IsEmpty( MyEmailField); g_MyGlobalTextField; g_MyGlobalTextField & "MyEmailSeparator & Space" & MyEmailField)]

Go To Record [Next; Exit after Last]

End Loop

Replace the "MyEmailSeparator & Space" with whatever you need to place between email addresses (in my case using WinXP & Outlook I would use "; ").

There's a command to copy all records in a found set: hold down the Option/Alt key and select Edit - Copy. It copies data from all fields on the current layout and separates the values with tabs, so you can paste the result in, say, a spreadsheet. I also believe you might need to display the found set in list or table view to copy all records.

• Newbies

Your response is much appreciated.

Upon writing the script, a couple questions.

g_MyGlobalTextField - is the g underscore in addition to specifying the field?

FMP 5 doesn't seem to like semi-colons. I'm creating the script in scriptmaker and then specifying the field as a calculation. So I inserted commas - looking something like this:

Setfield [MyGlobalTextField, If(IsEmpty(MyEmailField), MyGlobalTextField, MyGlobalTextField & "EmailSeparator & Space" & MyEmailField)]

the resulting response is "There are too many separators in this function"

Where am I going wrong?

This topic is 6280 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.