Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Scripted account creation via wirelss = corrupted file

xochi

This topic is 6275 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

One of my files uses scripts to create & delete user accounts. This works fine in general. However, a few months ago, I tried to use this feature while connected to a flakey wireless connection. My connection dropped in the midst of processing, and I was left with a "ghost account" -- the account had no name or password, and could not be edited, deleted, or disabled. The file worked fine, in spite of this.

HOWEVER -- it turns out the file was hopelessly corrupted. The automated backups were corrupted, and in fact, once I closed the file in FM Server, it would never open again. (See http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?fid/46/tid/184609 for a discussion of the fun that caused).

Now, was it stupid of me to run design scripts via a flakey wireless connection? Probably. Is this a very serious bug in FileMaker server? Definitely -- all design-related functions, including account creation and deletion, should ACID ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACID ), and should not be affected by a dropped network connection.

Beware.

Schema level changes probably ought not be made on hosted files.

Steven

Wow. First, I'm not sure that adding an account is what most folks would consider a "schema level change". But in any case...so the proper way to do this would be to shut down the server, copy the file to another machine, open the file locally, make your changes, then copy it back to the server and re-open it? Thats, uh, and interesting perspective for what is supposed to be a professional database product. :(

One hopes this bug, if known, is being addressed?

My use of the term schema may well ahve been overly broad as it is commonly understood. However, any remote connection to a hosted file, if interrupted, can create problems if work was being done on the structure of the file. This is particularly true for layouts, scripts, the Relationship Graph, and the security schema.

Second, you could always do major fixes by having a copy of FMP installed on the Server. Then, when stopping the service, you can open the file locally for work.

Third, I have no idea s to whether FMI classifies this as a bug or not; I also have no idea whether they are planning any changes in this area.

The business of working on the hosted files and the results that such work can cause if the connection is interrupted has been extensively discussed since the release of Server 7.0v1.

Steven

This topic is 6275 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.