Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FileMaker Server 8v4 not showing files

This topic is 6266 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

we have a Windows Server 2003 Standard and I have installed FileMaker Server 8v4. I have put a file in the databases folder on the server, started the service and have made sure that the proper ports are open on our router...although this should not matter since our workstations are on the same subnet. But when I try to open the file from our workstation, I can't see the file (clicking on remote, and typing in the ip does not show anything)

Yet if I open the file as shared on one of our workstations, I can see it being shared on that machine.

The windows server also has FileMaker Server 5.5 installed and working on it. When I stop the FileMaker Server 5.5 service on the server, then everything works as expected and our clients can access the filemaker 8 database. Is there no way I can run both server 5.5 and 8 on the Windows 2003 server?

our application was built on FileMaker 6/server 5.5 and we are now trying to move to 8 but need both systems up during conversion.

Thanks for your helpd in this matter,

Constance

TASC Energy

Edited by Guest

The windows server also has FileMaker Server 5.5 installed and working on it. When I stop the FileMaker Server 5.5 service on the server, then everything works as expected and our clients can access the filemaker 8 database. Is there no way I can run both server 5.5 and 8 on the Windows 2003 server?

Only one version can run at a time on that machine.

Steven

No you can't run the together. The first one to start grabs port 5003 and the other one will fail on startup. If you check the system and application event log you will the errors listed.

You'll need another box, or run Virtual Server on the existing one if it has enough horsepower and you're going to do this just for a while.

This topic is 6266 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.