Value List?

This topic is 8589 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm using one value list to select from for multiple products in a database for administration. The value list is created by the data in the "brand" field. Each "category" of product only uses a certain subset of the value list. I'm trying to allow the web user(because this is a product selection capability on the web) to make a selection based on the category, and only show those "brands"(from the value list) that are related to the category selected.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to do this without having to create a separate value list for each category?

Thanks for any help....

[email protected]

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, value lists based on a relationship feature in FMP5 -- so-called hierarchical value lists -- don't work over the web companion.

Your only recourse is to do it in two steps, or use some sort of junky Java applet. No, I don't know of or use any funky Java applets, so don't bother asking me.

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Vaughan:

Unfortunately, value lists based on a relationship feature in FMP5 -- so-called hierarchical value lists -- don't work over the web companion...

It works through relation as well in HTML and WC. In my scenario, people are entering articles into FileMaker db and one field is filled with keyword from value list.

Keywords are sitting in related database.

Client is presented by ALL values from related database, about 300 list.

Visitor, who searches for article will use not the value list with 300 keywords, but used keywords in db, about 80 of them is in use.

quote:

That's great that you've got it to work! Please tell us exactly what you are doing so we can make it happen too.

I am not sure what you are looking for, but my scenario is:

First db Keys has 300 keywords each with categories:

Field of Interest: HW

Class: HW Computers

Category: HW Computers for Graphics

Keyword: Graphic Workstations

All keywords are in Value list (From Field)

User posts News about "New Graphic Workstation" in database News (related) and selects keyword "Graphic Workstations". That is from Value List (From Another File). Because of relation all fields are filled with proper Field of Interest, Class, Category.

If visitor is searching the database News, value lists are generated from content of appropriate field. This way visitor see not the 300 keywords from keyword db, but the keywords already in use and all searches are successful.

Is that something for you?

quote:

Can you post a link to the st so I cansee it working? It sounds excellent!

Either post the url here or to me via email directly.

Thanks.

Vaughan

I will send you the access key; parts of the records are also accessible without log-in like demo.

The URL is http://www.PRnet.cz and as country suggests it is in Czech Language.

This topic is 8589 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.