Server Maintenance This Week. ×

can i do this

tomp

This topic is 6251 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am currently use secure fm on developer 7 to manage what my users can do through the menus and am considering upgrading to 8.5. I have had a little hands-on with 8.5 to see how the custom menu feature works, and it looks like I wouldn't need secure fm on 8.5 for what I do if I upgraded.

One thing I didn't remember seeing was whether I could manage what Secure fm calls the 'Sytem Menu'. In particular, I don't want users to be able to 'quit' or 'exit' my software any way but through my 'quit' script (I realize they can always do a 'Force Quit' or 'ctl-alt-delete'. But I want to be sure to be able to disable the exit and 'big red x' on my Windows applications and the 'quit ' on the Macs).

Would I be able to manage such things with custom menus in 8.5 or would I still need Secure FM?

TIA

The easiest way to stop people from quitting or closing windows is to create a script to run on close.

Once a user issues a "close" there is no way to stop that window being closed. Instead you create a new window with the same name, in the same position and the same found set.

This works even in FMP 7, and does not even require custom menus.

I tried this a year or so ago and found that it worked too well: I didn't include a way to NOT create the new window so I could never close the file!

I'm not sure I understand. What initiates the script to run on 'close'?

On a PC, the user can shut down the application by clicking on the big red X at the upper right of the window or by choosing file/exit. Is there a way to attach a script to those actions should they choose either of them? I want to disable those actions unless I can control what happens when they choose either of them.

Similarly, on a MAC, they can issue a 'quit ' from the system menu (or click on the red dot in the upper left of the window) to shut down the application. Can I attach a script to those actions so that I can take care of any housekeeping that might remain? If not, I want to disable them so the only way to shut down the application is by a 'quit' button on the layout.

I don't think I can do either in 7. Could I either attach a script to those actions or disable them in 8.5?

File > File Options

When closing this file

Perform Script x

The file will still close, but the script executes when the file is closing..

I don't use it much, but from what i understand, you are not replacing the close function that is triggered when File > Close is pressed or File > Exit (or either of the crosses in windows), simply attaching an additional set of steps to it before close is executed.

You might wish to do some comparisons in the new SecureFM - it does a MULTITUDE of things that FM does not do and handles windowing a thousand times better than native FM. You can disable windows closure easily. I would never go without it.

Secure FM Comparisons to FM

UPDATE: The comparison is at the bottom.

Edited by Guest
Added update

This topic is 6251 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.