Vista?

tomp

This topic is 6258 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I'm wondering what issues to expect from installing FM7 runtime solutions on MS Vista. Would it be wise to upgrade to 8.5? Is it designed to run on Vista?

I've had the first inquiry from a user 'will my software run on Vista?' and would like to provide an intelligent answer.

TIA

FileMaker 8.5v2 is currently the only version of FileMaker supported on Vista.

Anything prior (especially as far back as 7) is not supported at this stage by any means...

In all honesty i'm suprised FM got the 8.5v2 update out so quickly (purley for vista fixes), a lot of applications are still no where near being vista compatible).

But to answer your question... 8.5v2, yes upgrade.

Thanks. I guess that's the nudge I needed to take the update plunge.

Can I assume 8.5v2 is also supported on XP? I don't want to maintain 2 versions of my software if i don't have to!

I've read about 8.5v2 on FileMaker's site. Based on their description, they've certainly resolved some major problems, but others remain unsolved. (Here's a link to their announcement:)

Running FileMaker Products with Windows Vista

So I'd like to add this question about running under Vista:

[color:blue]Does anyone know of a major application successfully deployed under Vista at this time? (i.e., as of March 31st)

Active X does not work -- doesn't work with runtimes anyway

As for these two... Meh..

When exporting records, the file name includes the extension of any previously selected Save As Type in the Export Records dialog box.

Single mouse clicks will cause a QuickTime movie to shift to the left in Browse mode.

I was going to ask if an 8.5v2 solution bound on an XP machine would work on a Vista machine, but I think I know the answer.

I'll ask it anyway.

Will I have to buy a new Vista machine right away as well as upating to 8.5v2 even though I do all my development on a MAC and just currently have the XP machine to final test for deployment to PC users? Which flavor of Vista should I buy if I have to: stripped down, or full blown. My users might have either.

I'm running FMP8.5 Advanced on Vista with no issues. I also had to open a FMP6 Developer solution the other day and it appeared to be working propery. I would b shocked if FMP7 worked properly, but I have no need to FMP7- even if I had to support a FMP7 solution.

You can also run a virtual machine with VMware so that you can have 'Windows XP' machine running within you your Vista box, but at this stage I've been pleased that all my apps are running: PhotoShop CS, FileMaker, Office 2003, Dreamweaver, iTunes, etc.

My next challenge is QuickBooks- understand that they may have issues...

Thanks,

Joe

This topic is 6258 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.