Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Modifier Key Problem

This topic is 6191 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

A few months ago, my keyboard modifiers suddenly and completely stopped working in both FileMaker Pro and Pro Advanced. For example, I can no longer hold the key while click/dragging a field to duplicate the field. I must use the Duplicate feature from the menubar to copy of field.

I thought I would test this issue and see if FileMaker is detecting the modifier keys. I created a Test database with a button that shows a custom dialog with the result of "Get ( ActiveModifierKeys )" when the button is pressed. With every combination, the result is always 0. I have tried shift, option, command-Apple keys and every combination I can think of. They all show 0.

Also, I removed and reinstalled both FMP and FMPA and get the same results everytime.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions anyone?

Have you tried this on a different PC?..

Open up the data viewer (tools -> Dataviewer), create a new calc: Get(ActiveModifierKeys)

Hold down shift, and click refresh and see if there's any difference.

I tried the Data Viewer idea and got the same results. 0 every time.

BTW, I have restored the OS Keyboard Shortcuts to the default and am not running any FM plugins.

I tested the Data Viewer idea on another Mac, and it worked fine.

Maybe it's your computer?

Open up another application that you know also uses modifier keys and try that (i.e. microsoft word, hold down control and drag an image will make a copy).

I tried this in MS Word, and the modifier key worked just fine. It copied the image as expected. (BTW, it is option-drag to copy the image on a Mac.) So, it looks like it is something with FileMaker.

Maybe I should try to reinstall FMP and FMPA again?

If it's happening with different computers, then it may be something that's common with them all.

Is this a hosted file? Does it still happen in a new local file? Are there any plug-ins running?

• Newbies

Do you use a 3rd party mouse control panel such as Kensington's Mouseworks?

Are you able to use text modifier key functions such as Option-4 for the cent sign? In other words, is the failure related only to mouse clicks/drags with modifier keys?

This is an interesting problem.

My laptop does not have a 3rd party mouse controller installed. I am using a Compaq mouse that has left, right, and middle scroll buttons. However, when I unplug it and use the laptop's trackpad/button, same problem.

I am able to use text modifier key functions such as Option-4 to produce the cent sign. It seems that the failure is only related to mouse click/drag with the modifier keys.

Thanks everyone for helping me with this problem. It has been quite an illusive one, and I really miss this feature (i.e. drag & duplicate, etc.). I used to use it all the time as I am a full time developer.

• 1 month later...
  • Newbies

I have the same problem using both FM 7 and 8.5 on 10.4.8. My Option and Command keys do work in all applications including Filemaker. However these two functions do not work in Filemaker:

1. Option-Drag to duplicate a field

2. Command-select to select multiple objects.

These are very useful features and I wish they worked. If anyone figures out this problem please post the solution! I submitted a trouble ticket to FileMaker and hopefully they will respond.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6191 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.