Constrain Found Set in Right Click Menu?

This topic is 6217 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

When i right click into a text field 3 options appear...

Find Matching Records

Constrain Found Set

Extend Found Set

Find Matching Records does what it says ... but i cant work out what the other 2 do as nothing happens when i click them and my only thought is to switch to find mode ... but it does not effect the search...

Can someone give me an example of what these are for?

Same way. Say you have a single record in the found set and click in the Status field where the data "Active" resides. Extending the found set based on that will bring up all the "Active" records in addition to what you had in the found set before.

Shame i cant change the wording to make it a bit user friendly as this is pretty powerful.

This is one of those features that I forget about. It's great for power users with a high level of access. But in my solution this would be a big security problem (just like many of the menu commands), so these features are turned off.

I believe the simplest way to disable these is to set the user's Menu privileges to "Editing only" or "Minimal". Which you'd normally do anyway, and is likely what Ender meant (though I imagine you could do more with the Menu Set if you really wanted to).

[P.S. It is really a shame in some ways that all Find related commands are disabled by Editing Only. I don't see what harm they could do. We really need 4 levels of Menu Access choices, not 3.]

Edited by Guest

Hi Ender / Fenton

This line of enquiry is just me clearing up the last few bit missing for me in the way that certain "rogue" filemaker commands function and what controls them in relation to these posts.

Window and Toolbar Customization Example

and

Greyout MenuBar Items Example

I have just about worked out really great control over the Menu bar, Window Commands, Right Click Menu and Toolbar. Very exciting...

I have found that items on these menus are assigned by the first occurance of there relative command on the Menu Bar.

I have ended up creating a full list under File for these ... which enables greater control over using the privileges, greyout and activation behaviour in the commands for custom uses without them interfering with the other elements.

Certain things such as "Sort by value list" and "Constrain found Set" appear due to the presence of "Sort Records" and "Find Mode"... but i needed to know what they did to see if there where security issues.

This also means that i can avoid using the Minimal set and can really extend the functions available without security issues as everything can be replaced with my own scripts.

Many thanks,

Stuart

This topic is 6217 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.