Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Question about Repeating Objects on a Portal

Brett W

This topic is 6201 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello everybody,

I have a situation where I have created a layout that would act as a dialog box to select values from. My plan is to have a portal that would display Attendance records. When a new record is created, to get the value of what type of Absence this is, the small layout would appear next to the object in the portal that the script is linked to.

I have the object named and am using GetLayoutObjectAttributes to get the exact pixel location of where the box should appear, right next to the object. This works, but only on the first portal, because that would be the first named object.

My question is how would I distinguish what object it is. If i am in the second or third portal, is there a way to specify in the Get function what object I want?

As opposed to the Help, if you double click the GetLayoutObjectAttribute function to insert it in your calculation, you will see there is an optional parameter to define which portal row you're refering to.

Are you referring to the repetition parameter? Does this not only refer to Field Repetitions? I tried that & nothing different happens, from the second portal the window opens in the top right corner (but from the first portal, it opens right next to the object).

I guess this will only work from the first portal since that is the one that contains the first occurrence of the named object. And since the function only refers to field repetitions, and not object repetitions, this won't work?

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

Isn't this a flawed understanding of tunneling of values via relations- here?? Why are the two portals unrelated so you need to 1 know the position in the first portal and then jump to the similar in the other.

http://www.filemakermagazine.com/secured/541/GraphRules_full.mov

I've just had a similar request from a fellow developer, not quite knowing why he have landed there, alright he had some wishes to utilize the seapration modes to send individual tables to differnt people for updates.

Similar might you view on data be a tad too rigid:

http://www.filemakermagazine.com/videos/data-tagging-classification-vs-organization.html

Not that I think my stuff is rocket science, but I would deal with the attendance problems this way:

http://www.fmforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attid/9381/

--sd

This topic is 6201 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.