Repetitions leaving blank sections

sal88

This topic is 6209 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi, I have set up an invoice layout, with each record having a few fields that repeat 12 times. However, often the number of fields doesn't reach this number, so i am left with a lot of blank space between each record. Is there any way to solve this problem ie so that the body section shrinks if the repetitions do not reach the max.

The closest I've come is to just make multiple reports with different numbers of repetitions and then when it comes to printing the script can choose the best one.

any ideas?

many thanks

It's best to avoid repeating fields, in general. I would think many would agree.

Instead, you can create an Invoice Line Item table that relates to an invoice record.

Then, you can have one record per invoice line item. If you need an example, let me know!

Martha

An example would be great thanks, Im getting a bit confused, as currently each record/product is separated by a line, using your method that one record will become X records (as each record has fields repeating X number of times). But will i still be able to show it the same way as before, with a line separating each set of records that have the same product number. if that makes any sense.

yeah an example would be perfect lol.

Attached!

It's a bit crude but I hope it makes the point.

You'll see that the portal is connected to a Line Item table. So when you add stuff to the line item table related on an invoice and then click on the button, you'll be taken to the Line Item table and the header can be data from the related invoice!

Martha

Test.fp7.zip

cheers, that has made the record structuring clearer. I'm still not sure though on how to set out the records exactly as i want though.

Using the record structure in your example my records will look like this:

med_1176977737-1.GIF

Here is how i would like it to show on the invoice layout:

med_1176977965-2.GIF

with it being grouped firstly by invoice number and then product ID

I seem to remember it could be done in access with grouping or something like that.

many thanks

1.GIF

2.GIF

Edited by Guest

thats spot on thankyou sooo much!!!!! was a bit confused when it came to making my own, but it was the "allow creation of new record" in the relationship setting that i was missing.

thanku

This topic is 6209 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.