Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Three-Way Join Tables

This topic is 6224 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm creating a database to track student info, courses, grades, etc. In designing the tables, it appears a have three tables that relate to each other: students, courses (course & semester) and grades. Each student can have multiple courses and vice versa. Each student can have multiple grades, one for each course. I think I need a join table for the student - course many to many relationship, but am not sure what to do with the grades table. Any ideas?

Let's call the Student-Course join table a "CourseEnrollment" table.

If there is only one Grade per CourseEnrollment, then Grade would just be a field in CourseEnrollment. If you're tracking multiple assignments or test scores for each CourseEnrollment, and need a Grade for each, then an Assignment table and a Grade table (CourseEnrollment-Assignment join) would be used.

I've created the table to join the student and course info (Student-Course Join), but am having a problem displaying and creating records.

I have a form layout called Academic Info that should display the current student's courses, whether completed or not, in a portal. The fake data I'm using has one student with two courses, but they are displayed as two records on the layout, not two in the portal.

While on the Academic Info layout, Ctrl N creates a new record in the Student-Course Join table. I enter a Student Record ID, hit enter, and the correct name appears, but the portal fields are not editable.

I've attached a copy of the database. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Reg_Aff_Students.zip

This topic is 6224 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.