importing into checkbox field from csv file

This topic is 6185 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

i was hopeful that Post #202054 was going to hold the answer, but my problem seems to be slightly different.

i need to import some large files into a FM 8 database, and i've created a sample pair of files to demonstrate my quandary. basically, i have several fields that are populated by value lists (up to 30 possible items per list), and i've been given some excel files that the user wants imported into the FM format...the values that would be in the checkbox fields are separate columns in the excel file, with the value "1" for checkbox=on, and "0" for checkbox=off.

so, in my example, i'm showing two lists, with selections for either fruits or veggies, and a sample .txt file that looks kinda like the data that i would have to import...

i suspect i'll need to write a script to handle this, but i don't quite know how to start. can someone help point me in the right direction?

TIA

applesandoranges.zip

fruitsveggies.txt

:yay:

This looks fantastic!! it's perfect!!

so, i can see how to set up the field with the calculation.....what is the step then to actually do the import?? can i map all the fields with the "0" and "1" values to the imported field???

nevermind - i see that it must be that each record that is imported from the flat text file is seen as having only one field, which contains the 11 values together, and that comes in as "imported", right? i think i can apply this to my real data. again, thanks so much

thanks so much (sorry for my delay in responding....i wasn't at the right computer until today, and didn't have time to run your example)

Edited by Guest

each record that is imported from the flat text file is seen as having only one field, which contains the 11 values together, and that comes in as "imported", right?

Right.

Note that auto-enter option must be turned on during import for the auto-entered calculations to be performed. I thought auto-entered calculations would be better suited here than calculation fields, so that the values can be modified later.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6185 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.