Viewing a layout - preview or browse mode

actionman007

This topic is 6205 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I have a database that manages the attached information, however I would like to be able to preview the data in the same way that excel is currently displaying it, If I use preview mode, I just get a list of records one after the other... Is it possible to view as per the attached in browse mode, any pointers would be gratefully accepted, or should I just stick to excel?

example.zip

FileMaker has a pretty good way to build reports parts that show up in Preview Mode and printouts.

You'll need to add parts to the layout in Layout Mode for whichever you want to do. So far, it looks like you just need a Header part for the column headers.

As to whether Excel or FileMaker is preferable, I guess it just depends on the need. For your simple spreadsheet, Excel may be fine (unless those dates continue on into the future). But if you get into managing large amounts of data, need to view the data in different ways, or need to relate different things, then a database is better. For example, if you wanted to view a list of News Items that were done (from your original data), a database could do this very easily by pulling the right data in a layout designed to show the information in the desired format.

This topic is 6205 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.