Monitoring execution of a calculation

This topic is 6193 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

With scripts I can monitor the the script using Debug Scripts (or in the old days - dialog boxes). But is there any way to follow the execution of a calculation - or, to be more precise, a Custom Function?

I've got a calculation I just don't think is executing (it's an Auto-enter calc) but am not sure how to see what's happening. With PHP I'd just 'print' or 'echo', but in Filemaker I don't see a calculation step that'll help me in any real way.

Any ideas or solutions?

Thanks,

Nelson

Edited by Guest
clarification

The data viewer - as far as I can see - only monitors values in scripts. It won't let me monitor the value of a variable or expression inside a custom function, which is what I'm after.

I'm trying to use a recursive function ( the Phone Number formatter described by Excelisys), but I can't tell that it's actually recursing for me.

I do not know of a way to do this, except declare dynamically multivaluated global variable in the custom function, so you can see a value for each iteration (the variable value number is set dynamically from iteration number).

Hope this helps.

Yeah, for debugging a calc (or CF), you need to go low-tech and insert code that echos the values you wish to track.

For example, in a recursive CF, you might output the parameters to see what's happening at each iteration.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit late but I only just came across this thread.

I had dreadful trouble with my first CF and couldn't work out how to debug the ******* thing.

I turned it into a script and used debug. Worked very well and showed me the problem very quickly. Scripts can be recursive so it should work for recursive functions as well.

This topic is 6193 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.